Saturday, February 23, 2019

When a Luddite Hits the Wall

I love typewriters. They tend to put one in the slow lane of life and have great appeal for us piddler/plodders. They might not be efficient but then 'efficiency' may be greatly overblown. A typewriter makes you think about what you are going to say before you commit it to paper. They are noisy but have do have a certain rhythm about them. Your hands get a bit oily when you change the ribbon. And these are just a few of their wonderful attributes. Need one say more?

Here's the problem. I recently agreed to collaborate on a writing project with a friend who lives about an hour and a half away. We can meet midway at a coffee shop or library and spend some time working together or we can work together on-line with Google Documents and instantly see what the other is doing, all from the comforts of one's own desk (or dining room table or recliner). You can't collaborate using a manual typewriter. But then, coffee shops may not the best place to use a typewriter anyway. Unless you want people to glare at you.

Having to eat my words about using only using typers, I went to Costco and purchased a Chrome Book computer which they had on special. I guess it will work well with Google Docs. Now documents have become almost foolproof. They are much too easy! What can I say?

I miss my white-out? ... Oh well.

That's my story and I sticking to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment